Saturday, December 20, 2008

Banket (aka Dutch letters or Almond Sticks)

If ya ain't Dutch, ya ain't much...oh, oh...I'm sorry. I meant to say, if you aren't Dutch, you might not have heard of this pastry. But you have just got to try it! It's a Dutch staple, especially at Christmas time. It's a very delicate pastry filled with the most decadent almond paste filling. Perfect to have at tea time with your afternoon tea. You don't do that? Well, maybe you should start! My aunt makes 100's of these each year at Christmas. We usually make them into 'sticks' (just plain logs) but a lot of bakeries form them into letters, hence the name. Anyway you shape them, they are just plain yummy. Slice them into 1/2" to 1" pieces to serve.



Banket (Dutch letters or Almond Sticks)
Crust:
1 stick oleo (Blue Bonnet is the best to use)
1 stick butter
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups flour
1/4 cup to 1/2 cup ice cold water
Mix like a pie crust. Chill overnight.
Filling:
1 lb. almond paste (1 1/2 cups)
3 medium eggs, save the egg white from one of the eggs (NOTE: it's important to use medium size eggs with this recipe)
1 heaping cup sugar
1 tsp. almond extract
2/3 cup rusk, crushed (beschuit--found in larger grocery stores in the International section--if you absolutely cannot find it, you can substitute plain bread crumbs.)
Mix all together and chill overnight.
To make the sticks:
Roll dough into 6 large strips 12" - 14" long by 6" wide and fill with the almond paste filling. Roll up and seal the dough. Prick the top with a fork. Brush with beaten egg white and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes until a light golden brown.
I can almost smell them. If you make some, will you invite me? Then I can close my eyes and think of my Grandma. Thanks. (ps. I just need about 2 days notice.)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

also known as Boterletter.

MJ said...

thank you!! where did you buy the almond paste?
thanks again
MJ

lizzy said...

I used to make this with my Grandma.I am now making it with my children.Now that Grandma has passed away it is my Dad's request every Christmas. She used to grind the almonds with some sort of hand crank grinder. I use a food processor and make the almond paste homemade. YUM

lizzy said...

PS love your saying. "If you ain't Dutch" lol