Saturday, November 22, 2008

Winter Veggie Salad

This is such a great salad to make in the winter. It keeps up to 4 weeks, so they say! It's never lasted that long in this house! I made it today for a potluck for my last class at the Studio this year. Luckily, there was some left to take a picture (or attempted to at least!)

Winter Veggie Salad
1 can French style green beans
1 can Shoepeg corn (I used white corn--what is shoepeg, anyway?)
1 can petite young peas
1 jar pimentos
1 red onion, finely diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 c. celery, diced
Put all these veggies in a colander and let drain completely. I used my hand to squeeze all that I could out of them. Put the drained veggies in a container, I used a glass wide mouthed jar (the decorative kind you can get at Christmas time). Then pour dressing over the veggies.
Dressing:
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
Mix all in a cup until sugar is dissolved. Pour dressing on veggies. Put lid on jar and shake. Store in the refrigerator. Best if made a day ahead of time to let the flavors blend.

No comments: