Saturday, November 1, 2008

Golden Sweet Cornbread

I'm not a huge fan of cornbread, but I do love it when it's moist, a bit sweet and has corn in it. Hoggy's Restaurant has the best. The old standby Jiffy just doesn't cut it anymore. I made it a few weeks ago and it was hard, crumbly and just plain blah. So I went searching for another recipe. I found one on allrecipes.com but it had lots of comments such as: good, BUT I'd do this or that or whatever. So, I thought, I'll just pick and choose which changes I thought would be good and try it. And I think we have a winner!! It was moist, crispy on the edges and full of good corn flavor!

Golden Sweet Corn Bread

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 small can corn niblets, drained well


Preheat oven to 400° F. Put 2 TBSP. butter in a 9" round cake pan and put in oven to let it melt. (this is what makes the yummy crust!). In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir in egg, milk, corn and melted butter until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

recipe adapted from allrecipes.com

2 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

UGH , now I am so in the mood for chili...

Donna said...

Yum, sounds so delicious I could eat it all by it self.